Hana Tillmanová's publication deals with the phenomenon of the wooden theatre for 2000 spectators, which stood above the former Horse Gate on the outskirts of Vinohrady. Its construction was inspired by the Italian Eugenio Averino, a native of Ancona (1827-1880), director of a company of dancers and acrobats. His family had a special relationship with Prague, as his father had already performed with his acrobats at the Estates Theatre and Charles Square. The Teatro italiano was only open for five years, during which time it changed several tenants, including circuses. It was the first explicitly international stage in Prague and the first building in Prague to have an auditorium and boxes with restaurant services, in the manner of a variety show. Eventually, it turned out that Prague around 1880 did not have enough inhabitants for such a theatre, but nevertheless, many outstanding artists came to Prague on this stage and, most importantly, the Teatro italiano was a new sociological phenomenon that gave Prague the hallmark of a great city. The publication was produced by the Cabinet for the Study of Czech Theatre Arts and Theatre Institute and is published with the financial support of the Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic.